Finally, you have just received your knee brace which will allow you to regain greater mobility in your daily activities or to alleviate your pain linked to osteoarthritis or osteoarthritis. Before you start, know that it is important to respect proper installation and maintenance of your knee brace, in order to make the most of its benefits and keep it longer. Here is a checklist prepared by our orthotists that will allow you to know everything about the installation and maintenance of your brace.
Proper installation of your knee brace
1- Take off your pants completely and sit on the end of a chair. Position your knee at 90 degrees, then slide your foot forward 15 cm.
2- Detach all the belts from the outside (rubber part) and take out the belts from the plastic loops on the inside. Close the straps.
3- Place your brace on your knee so that the centers of the joints are slightly above the center of your kneecap.
4- Firmly press the sections of the brace at the thigh and tibia. Make sure they are free of gaps and well supported on your leg.
5-Attach the strap 1, tighten it comfortably. The tension must be sufficient without being uncomfortable. Do not overtighten the belts.
6- Attach the straps 2, 3 and 4 in the order shown. Finally tighten the strap 1 one last time to limit the sliding of the brace.
TIP: On each of the straps of your brace, there is a small comfort cushion that can be moved on the strap by removing it and resting it in the desired location. You can place it so that it is in the center of your leg for maximum comfort
Regular maintenance is of great importance
To prolong the life of your brace and for better hygiene, here are some maintenance instructions:
- Use a mild antibacterial soap and a damp cloth to clean your knee brace.
- Clean the belts and strap cushions gently daily, the inner lining of the thigh and shin.
- Never use in a dryer or hair dryer. Please mop up the excess water and allow it to air dry.
- Regularly check that no foreign body has slipped into the joint. Never disassemble the joint by yourself.
How to use your knee brace properly
- Wear your brace directly on the skin and add a knee pad of thin fabric underneath, if necessary.
- Do not wear directly on a wound or on a surface with a skin lesion.
- Do not submerge your brace in water to avoid damaging the mechanism.
- Do not share your knee brace with another person. It was custom designed according to the morphology of your leg.
- Follow the strap installation sequence as indicated above or presented by your orthotist.
- Adjustments must always be made by your orthotist, do not hesitate to contact him if necessary.
- If wearing the brace causes any discomfort, stop using it immediately and contact your orthotist.
Ensure annual follow-up with your orthotist
An annual adjustment of your brace is highly recommended for many reasons.
- Wear of the materials in your knee brace
- Variation of your leg measurements
- Changes in your body’s biomechanical movements
- Pathological changes (Osteoarthritis, ligaments, etc.)
- Evolution of your treatment plan prescribed by your doctor
In conclusion, it is recommended that you wear your knee brace gradually and resume your activities gradually. Even if you notice a significant improvement in your condition, be aware that the treatment prescribed by your doctor must be continued in order to guarantee long-term results.
Now that you know everything about the installation and maintenance of your knee brace, you are ready to go and regain your mobility!
Related article to read: Ouch! I have knee pain